top of page

21 Places to Change Your Last Name After Getting Married | Post Wedding Checklist

Congratulations! Has it set in yet?!

Do you plan to take your new (or soon to be) spouse's last name? You've come to the right place!

We've compiled our top 21 places to change your last name after getting married, including where to start, important agencies and documents you don't want to forget. Scroll for the details!

How to Change Your Last Name

Step 1: Marriage Certificates

If you haven't already, you'll need to get a certified copy of your marriage certificate. We reccomned purchasing additional copies. Click here to learn how to obtain copies of your marriage certificate and learn why we reccommend a few extras on hand.

Step 2: Gather Documents Required

Government agencies will require a certified copy of your marriage certificate. Some agencies will also require birth certificate, drivers license and/or other documents. You can check agency websites linked below for more information.

Step 3: Social Security

Once you receive a copy of your marriage certificate, start with the Social Security Administration to change your name with the federal government. You can follow our easy 3-step guide, here.

Step 4: Everything Else

What agencies do I need to change my last name with after getting married? After you obtain a social security card with your new last name, you can get started on the list below.

Use your new social security card with your new last name (yay!), and a certified copy of your marriage certificate in order to change your name with most of the following:

Indiana BMV requires change within 30 days of new name

Bank Accounts


Credit Cards

Cell Phone Carrier


Student Loans

Monthly Bills (Water, Gas, Electric, Television, Internet, etc...)


Licensing Boards

Employer (W-2)

Employee ID

Health Insurance

Car Insurance

Life Insurance

Legal Wills

Personal legal documents

Home Owners Insurance

Mortgage Company

Deed: If you own your home / carry a mortgage you'll need to change your name on the deed as well as with the mortgage firm. **You may need to file a new homestead exemption for that tax deduction - inquire within your local government agency.

More Pro Wedding Planning Tips from our Destination Wedding Planning Team:


Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Follow Us
  • Instagram
  • Facebook
  • Pinterest
bottom of page